Faerie Wood: the roleplaying game
I'm sure I could do a more glitzy job of this, later, but it’s waited twenty years already, so why not make a start right now?
Among a number of games that we played (and often created) back in the 1990s, one in particular stands out, and that's Garry Robson's creation, Faerie Wood. It's not the only thing he wrote; there was also the godly ‘The Big I Am’ and the unnamed modern-day game that blended Piers Anthony’s Incarnations of Immortality universe with the symbolic magic system from Dungeon Master... but Faerie Wood was a home grown marvel. A skunkworks project. A journey back to simpler times when real roleplaying involved being unsure of yourself and picking your way with care, not referring to a heap of monster manuals and always knowing the best way to dispatch everything from from Aardvark to Zuglon.
I think it was a damn fine game. As you will discover, in this blog, getting it out of Garry's head and into the real world was a difficult, but very rewarding process. It’s a story that a couple of people have asked about, so here it is. (Or at least, here it will be... beginning in the next installment.)

No comments:
Post a Comment